Thursday, January 31, 2008

My granddad

So my grandpa died. I'd make a big deal about it, but honestly, he was ready to go. I know he was ready because he ordered his doctor to quit giving him his heart and lung medications. He was on pain pills and breathing treatments. I got to see him, hug him and tell him I loved him before he went. Not many people get that opportunity. He even told me some about his service in WWII. My grandpa was a really great guy and I only feel it right to write a little about "that old, sweet man" here.


John Mack McCullough (Jan 2, 1922-Jan 23,2008)
He was born to a poor farming family. They barely had enough to get by, but they were never hungry. His wife died about two years ago after a battle with Alzheimer's disease; that was his main reason for living. He worked in the A/C business and did lots of jobs for little or nothing. He was a sound investor and found himself financially blessed way beyond his means, so he gave sum after sum to church and to the children's home. There's a story about how the church building fund was having a rough couple of months and my grandpa went up and gave his entire building commitment at once to set an example to others. He was always a servant and many people honestly think he finally decided to get off his meds because he could not serve anymore. The world lost a great man, but Heaven's army is that much stronger now.

On a lighter note, he was a charmer and the ladies loved him up until he died. He used to always want to go to therapy to flirt with the physical therapists there.

No comments:

Welcome to my blog!

I'm glad you stopped by. If you're not too busy, take a sit and read a little. If you really feel special, leave me a comment. Even a nice "hello" will work.